- Position the oven rack in the center of the oven. Heat oven to 475°F. Spray an 8″ cake pan with no-stick spray.
- Pulse self-rising flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl of a food processor fitted with metal blade. Sprinkle shortening over flour mixture; pulse just until mixture forms pea-sized chunks.*
- Pour buttermilk over the mixture; pulse until well-blended and a soft, sticky dough is formed. Let stand for 2-3 minutes.
- Place all-purpose flour in a small, shallow dish. Spray an ice cream scoop with no-stick cooking spray. Scoop dough into 10-12 portions; roll in flour to lightly dust each biscuit; shake off excess flour. Place biscuits close together in prepared pan; brush biscuits with melted butter.
- Bake 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let stand 2-3 minutes before serving warm.
*If you do not have a food processor, you can combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives. Pour buttermilk over the mixture and stir well until blended; allow to stand for 2-3 minutes. Continue with steps 4 and 5.